Presenter: andrews:degen studio
For whom: MOTIVATED AND CREATIVE – designers, graphics, urban strategists, photographers, journalists, architects
Number of participants: 30
When: 12-15.10 (Monday-Thursday), 11:00 – 16:00 – workshop
16.10.2015 (Friday), 11:00-16:00 – presentation
Where: Festival Centre 1, Tymienieckiego Street 3
Fee: Multi-entrance ticket required
Enrollment: on-line registration required
ATTENTION! The workshop will be held in English
During several days of workshops, two leaders together with participants will explore local visual identity of the city, as well as its impact on both the city and its residents. The idea focuses on solving the problems of design methodology and tries to answer the questions of how the projects / designers can contribute to improve the quality of life in a dynamically developing city, as well as contribute to the transformation of the current problems of a given urban cell, using the historical potential of that place.
The participants will explore their city anew, from the individual perspective. Each of them, after consultation with the leaders, receives their own individual theme to develop, based on personal experiences. The main objective will be to focus attention on problems of explorers, subjecting them to analysis, trying to draw conclusions and, consequently, propose constructive changes.
The final product of the workshop is a multi-faceted online publication and a paper magazine, presenting the results of the work of each participant on both sides of the magazine. The whole group, based on their work, will decide on the final look of the magazine – its graphic design, choice of fonts, photographs, preparation of charts and infographics.
Mapping the City is not a closed project, which means that the work and its results are only an invitation to take the next step and build a better designed city.
STAGES OF WORK
– Analysis of the assigned topic and the local urban cell
– Collecting materials
– Consultations with leaders
– Preparation of materials and creating publication
– Printing the magazine
– Publication of the magazine on the Internet at mappingthecity.com, www.lodzdesign.com and on Facebook fanpage of Lodz Design Festival
ANALYSIS OF ISSUES
During the first stage, the analysis of the city will be based on the following issues:
– Identification – which is characteristic? What is worthy of approval?
– People – who are the residents of the city – interviews and portraits
– Changes – defining problems of urban cells and subjecting them to change
– Time – historical aspect – a look at Lodz from the past, present and how it can look like in the coming years
– Structure – what it consists of and how it is built; its architecture, neighborhoods, streets and landscapes; identification of public and private spaces
– Culture – What makes us who we are today? New trends or tradition + what is more important?
– Communication – understanding the graphic language of the city, messages fight on the streets – their excessive and ordered system – which is better?
– Boundaries – what are the formal / informal / hidden city boundaries. Divisions districts, terrain, population.
andrews:degen is a studio for visual communication. It develops strategies, concepts and identities and creates authentic designs that clearly communicate messages. With their attention to detail, love for typography and imagery, the studio strives for originality. andrews:degen is deeply rooted in modern society and intensely working on social, environmental and economic issues.